Five Foods To Boost Immunity
Don't want to get sick this season? Who does, right? Well here are some foods that will give your immune system what it needs to stay healthy! Making sure you're getting all of your essential vitamins and minerals is a huge step you can take towards making sure you don't get sick. Remember that a healthy, balanced diet and regular exercise are the best things you can do to keep your body healthy!
1. Yogurt - Yogurt containing probiotics (healthy bacteria to colonize your gut, which is home to the majority of your immune system) is an excellent way to boost immunity. Choose a low- or sugar free option for optimal health benefit!
2. Garlic - garlic is a natural antibiotic and taking it regularly can help fight off bacterial infections. It is also a natural blood thinner so be sure to talk to your doctor before taking in excess amounts of garlic if you're already taking blood thinners such as warfarin or coumadin.
3. Fish - fish contain the essential fatty acid omega-3 (commonly referred to as fish oil). Most Americans don't get enough of this essential nutrient in our diets. Omega-3 helps to reduce inflammation and having enough in circulation can help protect you from infection.
4. Tea - Drinking black or green tea can have a significant impact on your ability to fight off viral infections. Bonus: Add honey to your tea for some sweetness and added nutrients. Honey is a great source of antioxidants it also has antimicrobial properties to help fight infection!
5. Mushrooms - mushrooms have been found to increase the activity and production of white blood cells which are vital for a healthy immune system.
There are many more foods that can help boost your immune system. Choosing foods that are high in Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C (such as bananas and oranges) are also very important in fighting and preventing infections!
Dr. Alesha Fleming
Natural Health and Wellness Chiropractic, LLC
Daytona Beach, FL
Dr. Fleming is a family chiropractor in Daytona Beach, Florida. She is passionate about preventative health care and nutrition and enjoys empowering her patients to improve their health and fitness, one day at a time!